Even though the holidays should be about love and cheer, gifts are a pretty important part of December. You want to show your loved ones how much you care, but why does it have to be measured by the gift you give them? Until society jumps on board with poem exchanges as the alternative to material items, here’s a gift guide of the fanciest, schmanciest gifts you can give those closest to your heart!
1) Rothko Tech Mittens. At first glance, these gloves from Tilde look like they were made for Aliens. But hold on! These are actually for human hands! They are incredibly soft cashmere/wool blend mittens and the thumb and index fingers are knitted with nano-metallic yarn designed for use with touch screen devices. How cool, right!?
2) Fremont Cuff. One of our best selling jewelry pieces from Betsy + Iya. This one in particular has a lot of geometry and craftsmanship to it (not to mention it is inspired by Portland’s Fremont Bridge). You can also adjust the size with just a little push or pull of the metal. Don’t let the flexibility fool you, this cuff is built to last!
3) Herschel Bags. I don’t know what it is, but the polka dots and the classic rucksack look really have me swooning. This is the perfect gift for someone on the go who has a lot to carry but won’t sacrifice her style! These bags from Herschel Supply Co. also come in a few other styles including a duffel, regular backpack, messenger bag, tote, and a wallet.
4) Orbit Earrings. The holidays are the time to sparkle! Between Hanukkah, Christmas, and New Years, there are so many fancy occasions to dress up for. These Grayling Jewelry earrings would look perfect with any New Year’s Eve dress. Have exciting plans to watch the ball drop with your bestie? Give her these earrings as a teaser!
5) Velvet Turban. Made entirely in the U.S. by local designer REIF, this luxe turban Summerland Boutique is bound to make any outfit a million times better. It also will keep your head warm or cover up a bad hair day!
6) Janua Necklace. Any necklace with minimal frill is a friend of mine, and most other ladies too. Jewelry can definitely be more of a risk buy, but this one from Tiro Tiro is super neutral and would work well into many different styles and age ranges. What’s great about this necklace is you can loop it once or leave it long depending on how you prefer it! Hello, versatility.
7) Original Art. Local artist Rachel Austin creates unique oil based paintings that blur the line between abstract, contemporary art and soothing traditionalism. If you’ve been looking for an excuse to liven up your boyfriend or girlfriend’s place, this is the perfect excuse! Find this one at Noun
8) Little Black Bootie. It’s winter in Portland. That means 9 times of out 10, it’s raining and all you can wear are boots. Who’s complaining about that (at least the boots part) when you can wear this gorgeous little leather beatle boots found at Solestruck? And at just under $100? Done.
9) Sticks and Stones. Anything by Sticks & Stones is highly covetable. Each piece is handcrafted right here in Portland. I happen to think their most recent necklace style, ‘the fine line’ is genius! So simple, with a pop of many colors and wood types to choose from.
10) In the Clear. Quite possibly the coolest raincoat ever. A completely transparent coat with black piping will protect you from the rain without hiding that gorgeous outfit underneath! Available at the funky fresh boutique, Yo Vintage.
11) Infusion Coffee Maker. Coffee made simple. The infusion coffee method is a simple process in which you pour hot water in the Double Wall Infuser filled with ground coffee. By removing the infuser by the handle at the optimal time, you can avoid over-extraction and bitter taste. No press, no paper filter. And many different colors to choose from! Find this one on Red Sail!
12) Plant your dreams. The perfect gift for your favorite green thumb! This planter (also found at Red Sail) with a leather handle will bring life to any room. Hang it from a wall or ceiling and add your favorite houseplants! Don’t forget to water them!
The generosity and kindness conveyed in giving gifts means more than anything else in the world. So, if you’re trying to show your love this holiday season, go ahead and go all out with the gifts, but remember to include a tight hug and a few words from the heart. Those are the gifts that will stick with them for a lifetime.