Like any fashion-minded young woman, I pay a fair amount of attention to the details of my outfits. My earrings must be the same shade of gold as my ring and I cannot stand when the color of my hair band clashes with my outfit. However, my biggest pet peeve is when I am photographed with my friends at a bar and there, in the center of the photograph, are my chipped, dull nails clutching my drink of choice. Nail polish may seem like such a trivial part of an outfit, but hands are the most used part of the human body! While you may not notice the condition of the tips of your fingers, the barista who takes your money at the coffee shop probably does. Especially if they are fabulously painted! I’ve rounded up the Fall 2013 nail trends to inspire you ladies to give your nails the attention they deserve.
1) The New Neutral. No longer should grey and taupe only be for painting walls! While they certainly aren’t as flashy as fuchsia or turquoise, neutral colors have a sense of class and sophistication. Plus, they automatically match everything in your closet. The above photo is from Joanna’s blog “A Cup of Jo” and I love the light grey color! As I type this, I’m currently rocking a slate grey polish and I’ve gotten so many compliments over the past few days. Save your glitter and metallics for New Years and celebrate Thanksgiving with a classic tan or grey shade.
2) Howling at the Half-Moon. Have you ever wondered about the little white semi-circle at the base of your nails? Fun fact of the day: It’s called the Lunula and it is the edge of the plate where new nail cells are formed. The bigger the semi-circle, the thicker your nails are! As interesting as these scientific facts are, I like to think that they exist as a suggestion for nail design! Instead of sticking to the traditional French manicure, try painting everything except the Lunula for a super modern take on the Frenchie!
3) Not for the Faint of Heart. The star of the New York Fashion Week in the world of nail design was Libertine. This look even features Butter London’s polish “Marbs”, a brand we carry and love! Although these stunning nails might not be suitable for everyday wear, they certainly look like something fun to try for a girls’ night out! You could even try a more fall-inspired version by using jewel tones for the gems over a darker base color. Just be sure to carry a tube of emergency glue if you’re brave enough to flash these babies in public!
4) Only Shine in the Summertime. Portlanders know that the sun simply doesn’t exist when it isn’t June, July, or August. So why should your nails suggest otherwise? Ditch the glossy shine of traditional polish for a unique matte finish. Buy a special matte color or layer a matte topcoat over your favorite polish. This detail can spice up any color and make it perfect for autumn. Forget glossy nail polish, your personality already shines!
5) Be Your Own Stud. I love the translation of feminine nail polish into a hardcore look with the simple addition of a stud. Kate Spade debuted this look, proving that even the girliest girls can have a spunky side! These nails paired with the leather jacket trend of autumn means this season will be packed with girl power. Who needs a man when you have kick ass nails?
My favorite part about living in a house full of girls is that there’s never a shortage of nail polish! Who has ever finished an entire bottle, anyway? After all, sharing is caring. If pumpkin carving isn’t your thing, grab your besties and have a nail painting party to celebrate autumn, instead. We would love to see your creations! Tweet and Instagram your nail shots to @shopadorn.